Summerlin, Las Vegas, and Henderson Nevada
Did you know that tooth decay is the most chronic disease affecting youth in America? This disease is preventable in most cases. Give your child an extra layer of defense against the threat of cavities by having the compassionate staff at your Las Vegas family dentist apply sealants to your child’s back teeth.
What are sealants and how do they work?
A dental sealant is a plastic coating made of non-toxic resin. The material is tooth colored so that it will blend in with your teeth. After a thorough dental cleaning, a member of our staff will apply the sealant material to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. Sealants can be especially useful on molars or bicuspids. These teeth are in areas of the mouth that children usually have trouble brushing properly on their own.
A sealant is placed into the grooves that occur naturally on chewing surfaces of teeth. It bonds into those grooves and forms a barrier. This new added barrier provides additional protection against the accumulation of bacteria that causes tooth decay.
These areas can be difficult to keep clean, and it is where decay-causing bacteria like to harbor. The sealants essentially seal out bacteria from reaching these areas. Studies have even shown that sealants reduce the risk of tooth decay by 80%!
How long do sealants last?
On average, sealants last up to 10 years. There have been cases where sealants remained effective into adulthood! Keep in mind that the dental hygienist will inspect your sealants at every checkup. We make sure they remain intact and can be replaced if necessary.
How are sealants applied?
- Applying sealants is easy, and painless! It is always best to apply sealants after a thorough dental cleaning.
- To do so, we isolate the teeth being treated and thoroughly dry them.
- Then, an etching solution is applied to the tooth and then rinsed and dried. The purpose of this solution is to help the sealant material adhere to the tooth with a strong bond.
- Finally, the sealant material is applied to the tooth. At first, it is a liquid-type material but quickly hardens. Sometimes a special curing light may be used to speed up the hardening process.
- You must refrain from eating or drinking for about 30 minutes following the application of sealants.
Are sealants right for my child?
We do not advise applying sealants to baby teeth, although the dentist will evaluate each child on a case-by-case basis. Sealants are recommended for permanent teeth after they erupt from the gum line.
Sealants should never be considered a replacement for good oral hygiene performed at home. Brushing twice a day and visiting a dentist twice a year is always recommended. Parents can extend the lifespan of their child’s sealants by encouraging good oral hygiene, while also discouraging negative habits like chewing fingernails or other inanimate objects, and by avoiding chewy or sticky candies.
Sealants in Summerlin
To learn more about sealants or any of the other preventive care measures we offer, contact the office of Inspire Dental of Summerlin at (702) 331-4700 to schedule a consultation.
We offer cosmetic dentistry procedures to patients in Summerlin, Las Vegas, Henderson, and surrounding areas.